Pages

Sweet & Tangy BBQ Sauce

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Tonight I planned on making BBQ Chicken Calzones for dinner, and I always have BBQ sauce on hand in the event I need a yummy condiment to something. I was going through my ingredients list for the calzones and I had everything. Onion, check. Bacon, check. Chicken, yep, check. BBQ sauce. I opened the fridge and lo & behold I was out! However, Jacob was napping and Bradley was very content playing his Wii and I hated to bother either of them. What was I to do?

Well I will tell you what I did. I searched online and found a decently rated BBQ sauce recipe and I made it my own! You know what - it turned out amazing, and was super easy to make. It only took 20 minutes and a few ingredients that I already had on hand! I can honestly say I doubt I will ever go back to purchasing store brand now that I know I can make the good stuff on my very own stove top.

For all you that want it, here is the recipe. Makes about 16 ounces and will keep well in the fridge for weeks. ENJOY!
-------------------------------------------
Sweet & Tangy BBQ Sauce

Ingredients

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 onion, peeled and diced
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
pinch of cayenne pepper (or to taste, if you like spicy then go for it!)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions

1) In a medium saucepan, mix lemon juice, onion, distilled white vinegar, water, brown sugar, prepared mustard, ground black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper and vegetable oil. Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered 20 minutes.

2) Stir ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and liquid smoke flavoring into the mixture. Return to boil, then remove from heat. Refrigerate until ready for use.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Yummy! Good to know. You had liquid smoke flavoring on hand???

The Reller Family said...

Yes, I am an odd one. I did have that in my pantry! :)

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS